- Hair texture. I think pixie cuts work best on finer, softer hair types. Coarse hair can be really hard to work with at such a short length. I also think straight hair tends to transition to super short cuts a little bit better. Getting crazy curls to do what you want can be nearly impossible. These are generalizations though, your stylist can give you an individual consult to see if a pixie is right for your hair. The right curl can actually be amazing for a short style.
- Face shape. This should always be a consideration when choosing a hair style. We often use a haircut to mask things you don't love about your face shape, and accentuate the things you do love. With a pixie, there is no hiding. It really opens up and exposes your face. For this reason, I think they work best on oval or heart shaped faces.
- The grow out. Pixie hair cuts are seriously rough to grow out, and they go through some awkward, funky stages before becoming something you will love again. It isn't a reason to NOT cut your hair short, but you deserve to know the truth. Life will be rough for a few months, though there are always things to make your life easier. (side extensions anyone?)
- Lack of material. Though I think short hair can be very versatile (wait for my pixie styling post), you are also limited. Especially with really short styles, things like curling, braiding, and any fort of ponytail are not really possible. If you love to do all sorts of things like that, you might miss your length.
- The type of pixie. Pixie is a generic term for short hair, but you have a lot of options when it comes to going short. Take the time to do your research. Look at all the pictures you can and identify what you like and don't like. Also consult with your stylist to work around any cowlicks you might have. TAKE YOUR TIME. You should want to cut a pixie for at least a month before you do it. That way you know you really want it.
Always talk to your stylist about your specific hair and any concerns you might have. Pixie cuts are SO much fun, but not always for everyone.
I thought I would show you MY hair! And if you were wondering, yes. I felt awkward taking pictures of myself in my front yard, but it seemed more awkward to ask someone else to do it for me. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!