Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Oh Baby

Even if you haven't had a baby yourself, you have probably heard about all the things pregnancy is said to do to your hair. The list is endless. Some of these claims include that your hair gets really thick while you are pregnant because you don't shed at all during, that you lose all that extra unshed built up hair after you have the baby, that your hair goes curly after giving birth, and that your hair changes colors, textures, and personality after enduring a pregnancy.

So is it true? As far as I am concerned it depends on who you ask. Women all report very different things regarding pregnancy and their hair. My personal experience? My hair didn't get noticeably thicker, or curly, or change at all really. The postpartum shed was very true for me though. About three months after having my little man my hair fell out by the handful. It was like nothing I had seen before. I was convinced I was going bald. Fully convinced. Turns out I wasn't, and the hair loss stopped after a month or two.  And it has slowly come back, one pesky new baby hair at a time.

So who is to blame for all these crazy changes? Hormones! What else? Pregnancy is insane, and is not the same for anyone...hair is also a bit crazy and has a mind of its own. Even without pregnancy your hair can change every few years. It is not uncommon to have completely different hair then you remember a decade ago. So when it comes to hair and pregnancy, nothing should surprise you. There are things that are more common and seem to happen to everyone, but there are a million other things that your hair might do.

Some things can be hard to cope with. Hair loss and baby hair regrowth as it comes back in are especially challenging. Using thickening products can help you feel normal when coping with the shed, and getting a serum or pomade to show those baby hairs who's boss will also help. Talk to your stylist for tips for your personal challenges and hair type.

2 comments:

  1. seriously, i never felt like my hair was thicker during pregnancy but i did notice i didn't lose much. and now it's all coming out in handfuls. STILL! how long does the post partum last?? it's been a few months now. but the thickening stuff does truly help, i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't relate to this personally, but great post Jules! You are so smart.

    ReplyDelete