Monday, March 14, 2011

Back to Basics

We all want fabulous, healthy hair, yes? Well one of the most important factors in achieving this is using the correct shampoo. Before I attended hair school I used to just use whatever was on sale at the drug store. Then I used professional product for the first time. Truly converted. Professional shampoo doesn't contain the fillers that others do, upping the impact it has on your hair. There are many different brands and types, so there is definitely one that will fit you. This is especially important if you have chemically treated hair, frizzy hair, or other challenges.

Chemically treated hair needs some extra love. If you are a frequent bleacher, you need to replace that protein the lightening process removes from your hair. The easiest way to do this is through your shampoo/conditioner usage. This will strengthen your hair immensely and help return that strong shiny feeling you may have missed.  It is possible to over protenize your hair however, so you should ask your stylist which products they recommend and how often to use them.

One thing everyone who colors their hair struggles with is fading. It is such a bummer to love your hair color the week you get it done, then watch it wash away to some nasty muddy version of the once brilliant color it started as. Professional color safe shampoo is actually clinically proven to extend the life of your color. What does that mean for you? Not only longer lasting beauty, but more time in between seeing your stylist! And that my friends, saves you money.

What about fine, limp hair? Boost it up with some volumizing shampoo. Using products that give you a bit of a boost can really take limp and lifeless to pumped and alive. You will actually notice your hair shaft feels pumped up.  This makes hair more receptive to your styling and it makes you feel like you have more than you do. Kind of like a wonder bra for hair.

Fighting the frizz? A good smoothing shampoo might just become your BFF. By starting the smoothing process at the shampoo level, your whole process will be simplified. Combing it out after the shower, blow drying, and flat ironing will all be aided by the shampoo and conditioner. It won't take your hair from curly to straight, but it will help you out a bit in the battle you face every morning.

Do you spend a lot of time styling with hot tools? A basic heat protecting shampoo and conditioner is a good idea for anyone. Many of us use those super hot tools that can potentially really damage our hair. Your hair needs some armor against what we put it through. This will reduce damage, breakage, and that terrible burning smell some of you may have experiences.

So maybe you are reading this thinking I am crazy and you are totally in love with your drug store special. To that I say lucky you! If you have good enough hair that you don't struggle with hair issues who am I to tell you to make the switch! I am being serious here, I would never try to sell you on something you don't really need. And if you are happy, I am happy. Do what works. If it isn't broken, why fix it? Keep carrying on!

If you are having trouble in a certain area and think that switching the way you wash might help, I would be happy to prescribe products I think would help. The issue I hear most from people when I recommend the switch from drug store to professional is $$$$.  It can be a big price jump, and I understand as someone who lives on a tight budget, this can be hard to swallow. So let me just say a few things. As I mentioned professional products contain fewer fillers making them more potent meaning, less is more.  A fraction of what you may normally use will be adequate.  So it lasts a whole lot longer. I am always amazed at how long my bottles last. Another thing, wash your hair less! But that is another post all together. The other thing I will say is consider it an investment.  It really will make a difference in your hair, so you just need to consider how much that is worth to you. If at the end of the day you really can't afford it? I understand, and I will try to help you figure out other ways to make your hair as fabulous as you want it to be. 

Questions? Comments? Did I not address your particular hair type? Wondering what kind of shampoo and conditioner to invest in? Contact me! I am here to help. Happy washing everyone!

6 comments:

  1. You're just awesome. What a fun new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julie. So you always make my hair look amazing! When I do my hair my ends always look really frizzy and dry. I'm ready to convert to the stuff that will make my hair look good! What do you use on my hair? Where can I buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooove my redkin. i dont ever want to go back. totally worth the money and it has lasted me FOREVS. you're brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, here is my question. I do Zumba every night and I feel like I need to shower after sweating so much. My hair is drying out, my split ends are crazier than ever and I refuse to go to bed smelling like sweat...help me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fix my frizzy fro. asap. loving the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura- Sorry for the belated response! Have you tried dry shampoo and a good smelling, moisturizing pomade for frizzy ends? I think the combo might help! Working out daily can present hair challenges, but a deep cleansing suuuuper moisturizing shampoo would definitely help. I can email you with specific products.

    ReplyDelete