Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Excuses, excuses.

I promised to answer all the BUTS to THIS post. So here I go! These are the most common arguments I get when trying to convince people to wash less.
  • My hair to too oily by the second day. Oily hair is extremely common and is the number one reason people wash their hair every single day. It is also the most obvious visual proof that someone has skipped a day or two. Well consider this. Your follicles produce oil to meet your needs. When you wash more, you are stripping those oils more, causing more oil production. SO if you wash less, strip less, you will produce less. It takes a while to teach your body this. So for the first week, or even month your hair might remain greasy on the second day. But as your body realizes you are not going to take away its oil, it will slow down and make things much drier. This will allow you to go that extra day. The longer you press on determined to wash less, the better it will get. 
  • My hair kinks easily so I have to wash it to change the style. There are a few ways to combat this problem. What I like to do is sort of plan around when I wash. The day I wash I style whatever way I want but usually make a point to leave it down. Then I consider the next day. I usually try to do it similar to the previous day (if it was curly I do it curly again, wavy I do it wavy etc.) That way my hair is usually half done for me. Or I plan to do it up, or something that will work with whatever I wake up with. You really can get on a schedule. Pick days and styles that fit your lifestyle. The key is to do it down and use less product on the first day. That leaves the next day or two more open to style and it cuts back on product build up.
  • I work out everyday. I will be honest here. This is the hardest argument for me to combat. I will say this though, I am one of those work out every single day people. And I do not wash my hair every day. Gross you might say. But a little sweat never hurt anyone, especially not your hair. Let me clarify here, I am not promoting skipping the shower all together. Only suggesting you leave your head out of it. Once you cool off and brush out your hair you might be surprised how workable your hair is. With the rest you you showered and clean, and some good smelling product, it might bother you less than you think. You do want to be sure to use a good deep cleansing shampoo for when you do wash though to prevent build up. 
So those are my top three reasons I get for washing daily. I hope I provided a little motivation to push through the trials. So let us discuss a few coping mechanisms for the hard times. Aside from the tips I already mentioned, and aside from wearing a hat every other day, the biggest thing that can help is DRY SHAMPOO. Dry shampoo works by absorbing the oils from your hair making it look and feel much less greasy. 

There are many different types and brands out there. Some are better than others obviously. I won't get in to all the particulars but I will say that this product has been known to save many late mornings, and has aided in many washless days. It is also designed to smell fabulous and mask odors your hair might produce. And prepare yourselves...I am actually going to recommend a non professional brand for this product. I have found Sexy Hair's is a little too much. When you hair already feels dirty you don't want more heavy product in it. So I am going to have to go with TREsemme on this one. I have heard fabulous things about it and it is insanely cheap. So there is very little risk in giving it a try. If you find out it isn't for you? Try another one. There are plenty. 

I will end with one more opinion...those of you out there using baby powder as dry shampoo? Carry on if you love it...but you might want to try a real dry shampoo. Aside from being a more grown up wonderfully smelling product, it won't leave white flakes behind as much. Especially for brunettes, the WHITE powder can be a challenge to hide. 

So press on my friends! The greasy hair won't last forever. Your color will last longer. Everything will be better. Just give it a try. If after a month you still hate it then hey do whatever you want. But the convenience of being able to skip a day will definitely prove worth the fight. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you gave dry shampoo a shout out because I think it's awesome! (yes folks, it really works!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard this dry shampoo stuff is amazing. I'll have to go out and try some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember the last time I bought a non-professional product...I may try it though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dry shampoo? Didn't know there was such a thing! So glad I know now! I just may have to give this lather less business a go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 10 points for those that don't wash their hair daily! So glad I can say it's best for my hair and not that I'm just incredibly lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i try. i really do. i try so hard.

    ReplyDelete