Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The best hair day of your life.

I know it is Tuesday but can you hear the bells? It is wedding season and I love it! No matter your relationship status I am sure you can enjoy a little bit of wedding hair. I thought I would share a few of my current favorite ways to walk down the aisle along with a few tips for the big day.

There are so many things that go in to planning your bid day. The way you look? Tends to float it's way right to the top of the list. So what are some things to do to assure you are picture perfect saying "I do"?

  • Think about it. It might sound silly, but you need to put some serious thought as to what you want to look like. What kind of bride do you want to be? Don't just assume you need to be a classic bride or do things the way people "expect". Be your own bride!
  • Shop around. Finding a stylist to fit your needs and style is crucial. It is worth using a bit of your budget on this. Don't settle for a friend doing your hair and makeup just because it is free. 
  • A thorough consultation is vital. While I never do a "practice run", it is important to actually meet with your stylist, play around, and really make sure you are on the same page. Why is doing a trial run not always smart? It is almost impossible to do the exact same thing twice. It can complicate expectations and really isn't necessary.
  • Give yourself enough time. Schedule a long enough block for hair and makeup to allow you to be comfortable. You will be stressed enough without worrying about falling behind schedule.
  • Schedule a potential touch up for mid day. Depending on your wedding itinerary you might get a little worn out looking by the time the evening events begin. Either schedule a time with your stylist to be freshened up or ask for directions to do it yourself. 
  • This may seem obvious, but please....be freshly colored. Fade and regrowth have no place in the wedding party.
  • Wear a lot of make up applied correctly. After arriving home from getting my makeup done for my bridals I came home and headed to the bathroom to wash my face. Luckily, my wise older sister intervened. I thought I looked crazy because I had never worn that much makeup. Turns out, it was perfect. My pictures looked fabulous. It might seem dramatic, but you need more makeup than usual for a day of photographs and glam. I also recommend not doing your own makeup. It will be one less thing to worry about and will most likely end up better in the hands of a professional. 
  • Be yourself. I had short hair when I got married. I had many people ask if I would be getting extensions. While I am a huge extension advocate, especially for special occasions, I didn't feel like they made sense for me. I have had short hair all my life, wouldn't it look weird if all of a sudden just for one day of my life I suddenly had long locks? For me, I thought it was better to be more myself. I am a short hair person, even as a bride. Don't be afraid to let your own style shine through. You should feel like yourself on your wedding day, the very BEST version of yourself. 
  • Explore your accessory options. Tiara, veil, flower, feather, headband, or none of the above. You have options. Consider them.
  • Look both ways before going trendy. Everyone loves an in style bride, but consider your photos years from now. Do you want to scream the year you were married in simply by your hairstyle? It is totally cool if you do. Just consider it.
So there is my list of thoughts when it comes to wedding hair. You need to love it. You will look at pictures of it the rest of your life. Don't settle, and PLAN!

So what do I love for weddings these days? A few words come to mind. Soft. Natural. Texture. Wish I had better pictures but the hair I REALLY love, is in my head waiting to happen.
with the hairpiece of your choice
LC does no wrong

Classic
sorry...just love

Yep I am on the royal bandwagon. Love half up elegance.

Love the face exposure.

A new breed of updo
Summer vibes
Well there are some of my current faves. If you haven't notice, I love weddings! Brides are some of my very favorite clients. So congrats if a wedding is in your future! Have a blast!


2 comments:

  1. Oooo. So many good options! This was the inspiration for my wedding hair do and I loved it: http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/64th+Venice+Film+Festival+Opening+Ceremony+tWHrXgoxxAKl.jpg. It's just like you said- natural and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such great advice. Good thing you are already scheduled to be my stylist whenever that day comes. :)

    ReplyDelete