Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Loyalty

Are you a stylist hopper? Do you go to someone different every time and no one seems to get it right? Well I have a thought on this matter. I recommend to stay with someone for 3-5 times before really deciding to make the switch. Why?

  • It is very rare that someone will give you everything you have ever dreamed of in one sitting. So unless something beyond terrible happened, or you can't stand their personality, give them another chance. 
  • Touching up someone else's work is not always easy. So when I am working off of something someone else has done, I don't consider it my best work. Your hair will look better if the same person consistently works on it. 
  • If you are going to someone new to fix what a previous stylist has done, it might take more than one sitting to get it back to where you want it. Again, miracles can't always happen in one sitting.
  • When a stylist gets to know YOU and your HAIR it helps them. They can think of new styles for you, they know what will work well with your hair, and they can make you feel more comfortable speaking your mind. 
So let me qualify all this by saying if your experience was terrible and you hated everything about everything I don't think you need to go back. But if nothing really bad happened and you are ok with it, try sticking with the same person. Now what are a few things to look for in a stylist?
  • Someone who takes time to listen and discuss your hair with you at the beginning of EVERY appointment.
  • Someone who makes a point to seek continuing education to stay current.
  • Someone who is willing to leave their comfort zone and do new things.
  • Someone who respects the integrity of your hair and cares about keeping it at its best.
  • Someone who makes you feel comfortable and you enjoy chatting with.
  • Someone who stands by their work.
Stylists are a dime a dozen out there. All of them want you to choose them. Consider your needs, and choose the right fit for you. Then stand by them! If you are a stylist bouncer you are starting from scratch every time which makes everything harder than it should be.

2 comments:

  1. I've been going to the same girl for more than 10 years, and she's so good! When I had my car accident I didn't know how I would get my hair done after that, being in a wheelchair and all, but my girl even comes to my house to do my hair now that it's not possible for me to get my hair done in the shop. I'm fiercely definitely loyal to her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look, if you're trying to get me to go back to the Cuttin' Corral, I just won't.

    ReplyDelete