Monday, May 9, 2011

Make it last.

Number one complaint I get now that curled hair is the way to go? My hair won't hold curl! Oh but it will. Here are a few things that might help. Keep in mind I am referring to a hot set curl, not getting your hair to go naturally curly.

  • Product. There are zillions of curl aid products. At the end of the day what do I like most? Good old classic hairspray. Professional strength aerosol hairspray will do the job. It will seal your curls like cement without making them crispy or flaky. After you are all curled up, just mist away! The key here is PROFESSIONAL strength and formulation. In this case, it makes a big difference. I just about dunk my head in this stuff after I curl, but no one would know it. I keep the soft look but get the tough hold. Love.
  • HEAT! Time to make an investment my friends. You need a HOT curling iron. Heat has an amazing power over hair. If you want smooth, beautiful curls that last, you might need to toss the Wal-Mart special and invest in a new iron. It really is an investment. It will curl faster and hold longer. Totally worth it. My favorite brand? Hot Tools. They are affordable and definitely do the trick. Remember to use a heat protectant ALWAYS!
  • Technique. To get a wonderfully shaped curl that withstands the test of time, start curling from the root rather than the ends. If you slide your iron to the very ends then roll it up, only the ends are getting maximum heat and curl. By starting at the root and working your way down, every inch of the strand is receiving that heat and shape. It will cause the entire strand to curl, not just the ends. 
Those are my top three tips for long lasting curl. You can always try taking smaller sections at a time and using a pre-blow dry styling aid as well. I have never met a head of hair I couldn't get to curl. If you are still struggling after trying these things, email me and we will see what's up!

1 comment:

  1. i'm going to try curling from the root. love this post!

    ReplyDelete